St. Peter’s Church, Darby End
The original church building at Darby End was a day school with just Sunday evening services, the desks being turned about for seats. It ceased to be a day school in 1888 when the Halesowen Road Schools (popularly known as the Iron Schools) were built.
The day school at Darby End then became a proper Mission Church, with an altar, choir stalls (which are now in the new church), a small organ and chairs, and it was named St. Peter's Church.
There was a celebration of Holy Communion one Sunday in the month for a time, and the church was served by the Curates from St. Andrew's Netherton, the parish church.
In 1910, it was decided that a new church building should be erected. Much work was done in the way of collecting money for this, and many people helped, some by giving just one penny a week. The new church was eventually finished and it was dedicated for service in the afternoon of 11 January 1913. That same evening there was a Confirmation Service at which some 40 people were confirmed. A Choral Eucharist was by now part of the regular pattern of worship at St. Peter's.
After the completion of the new church, the old church building was used as a Church Hall and, in 1947, a house was obtained in the Darby End area of the parish for the use of the priest at St. Peter's.
Darby End became an Ecclesiastical Parish in its own right in 1976.
St. Peter’s stands proudly in the community as
a sign and symbol of the presence of God’s love in our
lives. The church is there all the time; it is there when
it is wanted, it is there when our busy lives lead us sometimes to forget
St. Peter’s stands to serve us all.
|Sunday||9.00 a.m.||Holy Communion|
|5th Sunday||As Announced|